Rolling hills covered in vineyards, tiny medieval villages lost in time, great architecture and sparkling wine. The road from the Veneto to Ljubljana is full of delights to explore. New adventures are ahead with Adventures with Sarah and Savor the Experience Tours! A Veneto and Slovenia tour!
Sarah and Andrew are joining forces to give you a taste of undiscovered regions on an Italy and Slovenia tour with a focus on food and wine. The tour will explore the connections between two beautiful and historic countries, visiting places that most tourists have never heard of.
Sarah, a tour guide specializing in Italy, has picked a sample of small, off-the-beaten-path villages to give a new perspective on her favorite country. Andrew, who lives in Slovenia and specializes in food tours, has selected his favorite Slovenian destinations, visits with friends and feasts on local cuisine.
The first part of the tour will visit the region north of Venice, which was once the inland empire of that famous city. Walled fortress cities are nestled into the vineyards of one of Italy’s largest wine growing regions. A country stay at an Agriturismo will slow the pulse and teach the meaning of La Dolce Vita.
Sarah’s dream has always been to add spontaneity to group travel, so a day will be reserved for surprise adventures and exploration of Palladio villas. We will finish our Italian adventure in the city that connects the two cultures, Trieste.
Once in Slovenia we’ll focus on the wine and food. We’ll also see an award-winning World War I museum before visiting chef Ana Ros for lunch at her famed Hisa Franko restaurant. We will visit Piran, a small seaside town with Venetian stamp all over it, Skocjan caves, Predjama castle, charming Ljubljana and nearly a full day at Lake Bled with a farewell dinner in a castle on an island.
Why Go With Us?
Sarah and Andrew have been friends for almost 20 years, long before their tour guiding days. Sarah has worked as a tour guide and guidebook writer for Rick Steves since 2000 and has extensive knowledge of art, history, and architecture (her former profession) with a particular interest in Venetian and Byzantine history. Andrew has been leading small group culinary tours of Eastern Europe for many years, operating his own tour company and forming close relationships with winery owners, chefs and locals. He relocated his family to Slovenia and enjoys sharing his adopted culture with visitors.
While their paths have taken them to different parts of Europe, they have always thought it would be fun to do a tour together, pulling from each other’s strengths. They both have an interest in taking travelers to lesser known parts of Europe, and developing a style of travel that is local, educational, fun and relaxing. After many chats over Slovenian wine, they decided to take the plunge and offer this unique itinerary. Come along for a grand adventure!
Tour Dates: October 16 – 26, 2018
Tour begins October 16 at 4 pm in Castlefranco Veneto, one hour by train from Venice. Airport, Venice Marco Polo (VCE).
Tour ends in Ljubljana, Slovenia, depart any time on October 26. Airport, Ljubljana (LJU), or Venice (VCE). We can arrange transfers for an additional fee.
Price: $3100, air not included, Single Supplement $600. Prices includes 10 nights’ accommodation, 5 dinners, 5 lunches, transportation within the tour, tips and taxes.
Singles can be paired up with another single to share a room if requested.
Days 1 —3 Vino in the Veneto
- Tour begins is the charming village of Castelfranco Veneto. We’ll meet for introductions and take a stroll into Giorgione’s hometown, with a welcome dinner
- Visit to Bassano del Grappa and a tasting of the city’s most famous spirit
- A tour of the architecture of Palladio, one of the most famous Italian architects who inspired the architecture of colonial America. An afternoon in Vicenza to explore more of his work.
- A visit to Asolo, home to the slow food movement
- Driving along the Prosecco road, with a Prosecco tasting
- A stay at an agriturismo, an Italian farmhouse, and a dinner of local specialties
- 2 nights Castlefranco Veneto, 1 night Prosecco area agriturismo
- Cividale del Friuli visit, a medieval city full of tasty treats
- 5 course dinner paired with wines at Kabaj Morel Winery (Top 100 Wineries in World by Wine & Spirits). Kabaj specializes in macerated wines (‘orange’ or ‘amber’ wines)
- Sparkling wine tasting and tour of Brda’s oldest cellar (13th century)
- Olive oil tasting and traditional lunch in cute medieval town of Smartno
- Dinner with a view of the rolling hills of Brda
- 2 nights, Brda region country hotel
- Visit to WWI museum in Kobarid
- Special lunch at Hisa Franko (chef Ana Ros) in beautiful setting in Soca Valley
- Visit to Miramare castle on the way to Trieste
- A morning walking tour of Trieste with a free afternoon and evening to enjoy this delightful port city
- 2 nights, Trieste
- Guided tour of Slovenian town of Piran on the Adriatic, this beautiful small seaside town has Venetian Empire stamped all over it (and a great place to get Jamie Oliver endorsed sea salts)
- Visit and tour of Skocjan caves featuring deepest underground canyon in Europe– like a film set straight out of Lord of the Rings
- Visit to Predjama castle, hanging off a cliff, which has legends of a Slovenian Robin Hood attached to it
- Guided walking tour of Slovenia’s capital of Ljubljana, a pocket-size Prague/Vienna oozing with charm and delicious goodness at its riverside market
- Leisure time to explore Ljubljana
- Visit to Lake Bled castle and gondola ride out to Bled island
- Visit with local folk artist in Kranj — hometown of Slovenia’s most famous poet
- Drinks at a friend’s farmhouse, who makes herbal liqueurs, craft beer, craft apple cider and home-made cakes
- 3-course farewell dinner at Bled castle, affording beautiful views of the lake & the alps
- 3 nights, Ljubljana
October 26- transfer to Ljubljana or Venice airport
Ready to Book?
Email Sarah at email@example.com to find out if space is available. The deposit is $600 per person, refundable for 30 days.
Due to the limited number of guests we can take, reserve this tour quickly!
Veneto tour, Slovenia tour, Adventures with Sarah Tours